As much as we enjoy a winter wonderland, it comes with countless sniffles, coughs and other cold and flu symptoms. The flu also goes by the term influenza. This viral infection affects the respiratory system, including the nose, throat and lungs. For most people, influenza treats overtime on its own. However, there is a probability that this ailment can turn into a life-threatening condition.
Who is at the Risk of Getting the Flu?
Though children are more susceptible than adults, anyone can catch this ailment. Those at a higher risk of getting the flu include:
- Little children under 5 years
- Babies under 12 months
- Adults above 65 years
- Residents of nursing homes and other healthcare facilities
- Pregnant women
- Women up to two weeks’ postpartum delivery
- Individuals with a weak immune system
- Individuals with chronic illnesses, for instance, asthma, diabetes or heart, kidney and liver disease
- Those who are overweight with a body mass index of 40 or more
What Are Flu Symptoms?
Typically, the flu feels quite similar to a common cold. However, colds tend to develop slowly, whereas the onset of flu is often sudden. Though a cold can be annoying, the flu feels worse.
Flu symptoms in some people, especially children, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may occur, though not always. Symptoms of the flu include the following:
- Chills and sweats
- Dry, persistent cough
- Fatigue and weakness
- Fever over 100.4 F (38 C)
- Muscle aches
- Nasal congestion
- Sore throat
>>>> Did you know approximately 3,500 Canadians die due to the flu and 12,200 patients are hospitalised each year? According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, it makes flu one of the 10 leading causes of death in Canada. <<<
Will Flu Shot Prevent the Flu?
Anyone and everyone above six months is recommended to get an annual flu vaccination. However, individuals who are at a higher risk of getting this ailment should take more precautions, along with those who live within the proximity of someone who has the flu.
The following are some measures you can take to prevent catching the flu virus:
- Get the Flu Shot: Get timely flu shots for you and your family. Though it does not prevent one from catching the virus, it makes your immunity stronger. So even if you get ill, the symptoms will appear milder than without the vaccine.
- Avoid Flu Contact: Maintain a safe distance from individuals you know are suffering from flu symptoms and if you are a victim, then stay at home until you recover to avoid exposing others to this ailment.
- Practice Hygiene: Teach proper hygiene practices to your kids (Mr. Waleed please link this article: Mom’s Guide 101 – 5 Best Cold and Flu Prevention Tips for Kids) to prevent them from getting ill. Some measures to practice as a family include washing hands with soap and warm water frequently, avoid touching your face and avoid sharing utensils with someone who has the flu. Moreover, eating minimum junk food and maximum healthy meals can help bolster the immune system naturally to ward off the flu.
What Are the Most Efficient Natural Remedies for Flu?
Most of the time, flu treatment requires you to stay in bed and get proper rest. However, there is plenty you can do to speed up recovery. Scroll to review natural remedies for flu, you can easily try from your comfort zone.
Drink Lots of Fluids
Drinking fluids is the most straightforward and ideal natural remedy to get rid of the flu. Water keeps the mouth, nose and throat moist. This helps your body get rid of mucus and phlegm build-up. Flu is accompanied by high fever, which leads to excessive sweating that can cause water loss. Hence it is crucial to load up on fluids. Moreover, water helps flush out toxins from the body, which improves recovery.
Some fluids to consider include:
- Fresh Juice
- Coconut water
You can always tell you are drinking enough liquids if:
- Your urine is regular
- The colour of your urine is either pale yellow or almost clear
On the contrary, if your urine is a deep yellow or amber yellow, you are most likely dehydrated.
Among the list of natural remedies, chicken soup is the most powerful way to speed up convalescence. This timeless remedy has been passed on for generations due to excellent reasons. Drinking plenty of chicken soup or warm broth is a surefire way to stay hydrated as they contain not only water but also salt. This hot fluid increases the movement of mucous within the nose and causes blood vessels to dilate, which boosts blood flow and allows the mucous to secrete efficiently. This, in turn, helps alleviate congestion.
Moreover, bone broth is naturally rich in minerals and proteins, such as potassium and sodium. Eating chicken soup is essential to replenish lost nutrients, especially during the flu and protein is ideal for rebuilding immune cells.
This is a potent mineral that is vital for the immune system and the general wellbeing of the body. Zinc benefits the body by stimulating germ-fighting white blood cells. This nutrient helps ease cold and flu symptoms as well as aids the body to combat the flu virus. Moreover, it may potentially slow down the rate at which this virus grows.
You can take zinc multivitamins and supplements during the flu season. Zinc foods to consider adding to your diet include the following:
- Red meat
If you do not like drinking cough syrups and would much rather prefer a delicious cup of herbal tea for recovery, then we highly recommend you try Herbion Naturals Cold & Flu Remedy. These herbal granules are a household essential across Canada. Not only do they ease cold and flu symptoms, but they also soothe sore throat and relieve chest complaints for instance, bronchitis, catarrh and cough, which helps maintain a healthy respiratory tract.
Made with a wholesome blend of ingredients, these potent herbal granules come in easy-to-carry convenient sachets that can be used at home, school, or even work. Choose your choice of warm beverage such as warm water, tea, or coffee and stir a sachet of herbal granules. Sip on this delicious herbal tea slowly to allow it to engulf your throat with its herbal goodness and warmth.
Herbion Cold & Flu Granules come in a nut-free and non-sedative formula, which gives long-lasting cumulative effects. The best part is that this one-of-a-kind herbal tea is void of adverse effects, free of artificial flavours and colours, so you know you are getting nature’s finest at your fingertips.